AAG Debuts New Senior Home Equity Solutions Brand, Vows to Help Seniors “Retire Better”
New “What’s Your Better?” TV spot featuring Tom Selleck now airing
ORANGE, Calif. (July 25, 2018) – American Advisors Group (AAG) today announced the launch of its new brand message, Retire Better, and TV spot, “What’s Your Better?” featuring acclaimed actor Tom Selleck. The 120-second TV commercial began running on July 9 across cable and national networks. In the spot, AAG spokesperson Selleck asks viewers, “What’s your better?” The new “retire better” brand is focused on delivering thoughtful solutions and personalized services to America’s growing senior population. Everything from the website, aag.com (“We believe in better”) to the Information Kits (“Your Guide to a Better Retirement”) to direct response collateral and the company’s digital presence focuses on the concept of creating a better retirement through the responsible use of home equity.
AAG also announced today its conversion to a holistic sales model which enables AAG’s mortgage professionals to offer both traditional and reverse mortgage loans, as well as to refer customers who prefer to sell their homes to AAG Residential Services (AAGRS). Under the new product-agnostic model, AAG professionals will be able to present senior homeowners with a wide range of options, making AAG a one-stop solution that is dedicated to understanding and meeting its customers’ needs.
“We completely retooled our business model so that AAG could help more seniors responsibly access their home equity to get better outcomes in retirement,” said AAG Chief Executive Officer Reza Jahangiri. “And we’re changing the conversation – and the mindset – around using home equity. Whereas before our advertising spoke directly to those seeking more financial stability, we are now broadening our appeal to anyone who can envision a better retirement. Almost every retiree has their version of ‘better,’ however they define it.”
The new TV spot was shot at the iconic Theatre at the Ace Hotel and is more sophisticated, visually striking and colorful than previous campaigns. The commercial features Selleck explaining that being on stage is his “better.” It is aimed at starting a conversation with seniors about what would make their life not just good but better. In the spot Selleck says, “Whatever it is, your home’s equity could make your better a reality.”
To build off this theme, AAG created new digital content that helps educate customers about a variety of retirement solutions that leverage their largest and most underutilized asset, their home equity.
“The creative approach was designed to appeal to a wider audience,” said AAG Chief Marketing Officer Martin Lenoir. “The aim with everything, from the logo to the color palette, was to modernize the look without losing the credibility of the already established brand. We’re also working to develop a more ownable brand experience that leads our customers to an ‘aha’ moment where they can see the big picture of home equity use in their retirement plan.”
With this brand evolution, AAG is moving from a monoline product company, selling only reverse mortgage loans, to a home equity solutions business offering a full suite of products and services, putting AAG in a “category of one.”
“There is no other U.S. company solely focused on helping seniors broadly utilize their home equity to improve their financial outcomes in retirement,” said Jahangiri.
AAG’s new solutions are designed to benefit homeowners who are planning for or in retirement and want to make better use of their home equity.
“This is a new way of looking at retirement planning,” said AAG Chief Retail Sales and Operations Officer Paul Fiore. “Historically, only those who needed access to cash used home equity, but we are seeing a shift in the mindset. Financial planners and older homeowners are more open minded about proactively including home equity in retirement planning.”
According to an issue brief published in 2017 by the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, home equity is an underutilized asset, and the “largest store of savings for most households entering retirement.” The brief concluded that households entering retirement will increasingly need to tap their financial assets and home equity to maintain their living standards, for example by downsizing or taking out a reverse mortgage loan. The Urban Institute came to a similar conclusion, stating in a 2017 study that “home equity has the potential to be a major source of financial security for U.S. households.”
AAG interacts with more than 500,000 older Americans every year. As the leading reverse mortgage lender in the nation, the company has a unique understanding of the senior demographic and the retirement crisis they are facing. That’s why AAG’s consultative sales approach is focused on being caring, helpful and inspiring.
“We take the time, no matter how long, to understand our customers’ needs and goals,” said Fiore. “At the end of the day, our goal is to help more seniors, and we believe we can do that by giving them a range of options for incorporating home equity into a sustainable retirement plan.”
As part of the rebrand, AAG also updated its mission statement: “We help older Americans navigate their way into and through retirement with ease and peace of mind by providing them with personalized service and a full suite of home equity solutions designed to give them the best financial outcome for a better retirement.”
AAG’s new suite of senior-focused home equity solutions includes:
|AAG PRODUCTS & SERVICES|
|Reverse Mortgage Loans|
|FHA Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECM)||Commonly referred to as reverse mortgage loans|
|HECM for Purchase||Reverse mortgage loans used to purchase a home|
|Reverse HELOC||A reverse mortgage loan with a growing home equity line of credit|
|AAG Advantage||A proprietary reverse mortgage jumbo loan|
|Refinance Loans||Conventional or FHA loans used to access equity, or to change the term or lower the interest rate of an existing loan|
|AAG Residential Services||Assistance with selling a home and relocating|
AAG has been recognized as an Orange County Top Workplace, an OC Civic 50 company, and a North American Employee Engagement Award winner, highly commended. The company was a finalist for the BBB Torch Award for ethics in the 500+ employee category. For his vision, leadership and achievement, AAG CEO Jahangiri was honored as the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2018 Orange County in the financial services category.
- According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office about half of households age 55 and older have no retirement savings – and up to two-thirds of workers may not have saved enough to maintain their standard of living in retirement.
- The average liquid savings for senior households is only $17k, compared to the estimated $750k cost of retirement, according to Merrill Lynch/Age Wave.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, since the 1970s, the U.S. experienced a dramatic drop in personal savings rates, from 12 percent of income then to around 3 percent today.
- A 2018 GoBankingRates survey estimates that 42 percent of Americans will retire “broke,” with less than $10,000 in savings.
- The U.S. General Accountability Office reports that 50 percent of seniors are almost exclusively relying on Social Security to cover their life expenses.
- According to the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, National Retirement Risk Index, 50 percent households are “at risk” of not having enough to maintain their living standards in retirement.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, every day, 10,000 baby boomers turn 65. And, the senior population is projected to double from 40 million to 80 million by 2030. By 2035, seniors will outnumber children for the first time in American history, accounting for one in five Americans.
- According to Harvard University Joint Center for Housing Studies, by 2035 one out of every three households will be headed by someone 65 or older.
- According to AARP, 9 out of 10 older Americans prefer to age in place. AARP also estimates that the cost of in-home care is one-third the cost of nursing home care (~$30k/year for in-home versus ~$90k/year for nursing home).
- More than 80 percent of older adults in their early 70s are homeowners, according to the Harvard University Joint Center for Housing Studies.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, roughly two-thirds of homeowners ages 65 and older own their home without a mortgage.
- The Harvard University Joint Center for Housing Studies estimates that home equity accounts for more than 50 percent of the net worth of older homeowners.
- Older Americans have accumulated $6.8 trillion in home equity according to the June 2018 NRMLA/RiskSpan Reverse Mortgage Market Index.
AAG is dedicated to helping older Americans find new ways to fund a better retirement through the responsible use of home equity. As the nation’s leader in reverse mortgage lending, AAG offers a suite of home equity solutions — including federally-insured Home Equity Conversion Mortgages, traditional and proprietary mortgages, and real estate services — that are designed to give seniors a better financial outcome in retirement. AAG is a proud member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA). To learn more about AAG and reverse mortgage loans, please visit the company’s website at www.aag.com.
About AAG Residential Services
AAG Residential Services (AAGRS) helps older adults sell their homes and relocate with ease. AAGRS real estate professionals are experienced in helping older adults right-size into a home that better meets their needs for the next stage of life. AAGRS has relationships with specialized real estate professionals across the country who are vetted and trained to handle the most sensitive and complicated situations. AAGRS walks customers through every step of the process and works hard to alleviate some of the burden that comes with the decision to move. For more information about AAGRS, visit https://aag.com/sell-buy-a-home/
About AAG Foundation
The AAG Foundation was created to help those in need and encourage the company’s workforce to make a difference. The Foundation takes an active role in the fight against senior hunger and isolation. Each week, AAG employees are encouraged to use their Volunteer Time Off to make Meals on Wheels deliveries and to help with Emergency Food Assistance Programs for seniors, as well as other local community outreach activities. The Foundation sponsors the local Better Business Bureau (BBB) Savvy Seniors program aimed at empowering and protecting seniors from marketplace scams. The Foundation also supports Willow International, a nonprofit organization based in Orange County, California, focused on preventing, rescuing, and providing restorative aftercare to victims of human trafficking in Uganda. For more information about the AAG Foundation, visit https://aag.com/foundation/
For AAG media inquiries, please contact: email@example.com.
American Advisors Group, NMLS #9392, 3800 W. Chapman Avenue, Orange CA 92868